By Jack Barnes
On Wednesday night, April 20, VH1 Save The Music threw its second Musically Mastered Menu event of the year at the beautiful and modern Calcasieu in New Orleans, raising proceeds to restore instrumental music programs in schools. The intimate event was headlined by musical duo R. City, with a special menu created by James Beard Award-winning Chef Donald Link, as inspired by R. City’s music.
City rocked the house with a set of tracks from their new album What Dreams Are Made Of, including “Locked Away,” (inspired by their parents’ relationship), “Checking For You” and “Don’t You Worry,” and a medley of smash hits they’ve penned including “We Can’t Stop” (Miley Cyrus) and “Pour It Up” (Rihanna).
Photo Credit – Augusta Sagnelli
In between songs, R. City talked about the importance of music education. They had the room give VH1 Save The Music a round of applause, saying, “Music education is so important for us to keep alive. To be here for this tonight is a true blessing.”
Link’s three course, all-passed menu included Lechon Asado, Congri, West Indies Fried Chicken with Pepper Vinegar, and Shrimp and Okra Curry. Chef also spoke about the importance of keeping music in schools, connecting it to the creativity he feels toward food.
“Food saved me. When I’m cooking, I feel safe, good, passionate – it’s an escape. That’s what music does too for many people,” said Chef Link.
City and Chef even exchanged gifts with each other at the end of the night – R. City gifting Chef with their album, and Chef gifting the two with his latest cookbook
Key points are below about the event and Save The Music.
- Last night, the VH1 Save The Music Foundation hosted the second stop of its Musically Mastered Menu tour for 2016.
- The ticketed, intimate event took place at the beautiful and modern Calcasieu in New Orleans, LA on Wednesday, April 20 and was headlined by R. City. The musical duo paired with Chef Donald Link, who created a special multicourse menu inspired by R. City’s music.
- VH1 Save The Music’s traveling ‘Musically Mastered Menu’ tour pairs hot talent from the music and culinary worlds for an intimate evening of raising funds to restore music programs in America’s public schools. Each fundraising event features a multi-course menu from a celebrated local chef inspired by the performing artist. Proceeds go toward restoring music in schools.
- On a local level, since 1998, VH1 Save The Music has partnered with 24 Louisiana public elementary and middle schools to provide all-new instrumental music programs, impacting more than 4,000 students.
- VH1 Save The Music is currently granting in the Greater New Orleans area, St. John the Baptist Parish, re-building their instrumental programs after 10+ years of having no music.
- VH1 Save The Music donated its first band grant to St. John the Baptist Parish in 2013, and actively continues to instill programs that have hired three additional music teachers so far within the district.
- Event sponsors for MMM NOLA: Avnet, Link Restaurant Group, Distressed | Rentals & Revival, Heineken, New Orleans WWOZ 90.7 FM, Absolut, Victory, Dark Horse, and Food and Wine Magazine.
Want to submit something? Click Here
Need promotion? Click Here
Let us know what you think in the comment area below.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!”